Friday, August 29, 2008

The speech



Lisa with Ken Preston and Ray Rivera
Lisa Daly, Ken Preston and Ray Rivera

I spent most of the time this evening with Diana and Corey and the rest of the delegation. I saw Ray Rivera again - since leaving as the Northeast Field Director, he has taken up responsibilities closer to home in Colorado, and he was the campaign spokesman who made the regular announcements to the crowd about signing up for text messages. He must be pretty fearless - there were 80,000 people in that stadium, but he did a great job at the podium.

After Al Gore's speech, and after Sheryl Crowe and Stevie Wonder performed, as it came time for the main event, a producer from WABC in NY, pulled me aside and asked if I would watch the speech with them and comment afterwards. I hesitated, because I did not want to give up my prime seat in the New York delegation, and wanted to watch with my friends, but she promised I would still be on the field, so I took a chance. It paid off, as I now got to watch the speech from the press risers, which were about 10 feet higher up and closer to the stage, so I got an excellent view and watched it with Joe Thompson, a fellow New York delegate with the reporters working around us. When it was over, Bill Ritter from WABC interviewed us live about our reactions.

Link: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/media?id=6358167

After it was all over and the red white and blue star-shaped confetti had all fallen, we tried to take the shuttle buses back, but our luck with the buses had not been great, and the line for buses was filled with people, and with no clear indication of how those people were being directed to which buses, so... we walked back the couple of miles, and probably got back sooner anyway.

On the walk back we finally got something to eat, and ran into a couple of familiar faces - Gustavo Santos, joined me at Subway for something to eat, and we saw Ashok Malhotra again as well. Over the past few days we have gotten to know many of the members of the New York delegation from around the state, and as the week is ending it feels as if we are leaving behind a lot of new friends. I am hopeful that as the campaign goes forward in New York that we will continue to remain in contact with them, as they organize in their communities, and we in ours.

2 comments:

David Daly said...

WABC Links:
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/politics&id=6350688

Second panel in the scroll bar has the video. Lisa shows up at 3:35 in.

We saw it carried live on the NY news last night, and just watched it again with Shoshana.

philosophy donor said...

I interested in your reaction to the speech. A post, please?